Hearty Vegetable Stew
This is one of the most flavourful vegetable stews I have made in a long time. You can add ground cooked turkey or chicken to the stew to make it a little more hearty if you prefer. This recipe makes a really big batch so prepare for leftovers that you can freeze.
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 2 celery stalks (chopped)
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 tbs grated ginger
- 1½ tbs sweet paprika
- 2 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tbs ground coriander
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- 8 cups vegetable broth
- 1 medium butternut squash (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 turnip (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 sweet potato (cut into bite size pieces)
- 1 can crushed tomatoes
- 2 cups cooked chickpeas
- 2 tbs fresh mint (chopped)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- ½ cup fresh cilantro (chopped)
- Place the onion, carrots, and celery in a large pot and sauté for 10 minutes.
- Add the garlic, ginger, paprika, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, squash, turnip, sweet potato, tomatoes, and chickpeas and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, uncovered, for 25 minutes. Add the mint and season the stew with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 10 minutes more, or until the vegetables are tender. Serve garnished with the cilantro or mint.