Cajun Shrimp & Quinoa Casserole
This recipe is a fan favourite for our entire family. It's easy to make and keeps well for leftovers. Add it to your weekly meal prep recipe list and plan to double the recipe as it also freezes well for mid-week dinner ideas when pressed for time.
- 1 package frozen shrimp (uncooked)
- 2 cans diced tomatoes, drained or 4 medium tomatoes, cut into chunks
- 1 jalapeno
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 2 tsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 1 tbsp cajun seasoning
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- salt & pepper to taste
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Toss thawed shrimp in 1 tsp of cajun seasoning and set aside
- Toss the diced tomatoes in 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp of cajun seasoning and set aside
- Heat 1 tbsp olive oil over medium heat in cast iron skillet (if you don’t have a cast iron skillet, use a regular frying pan and transfer to casserole dish at the end)
- Cook shrimp until pink and remove from pan and set aside.
- Add remaining 1 tbsp of oil to the pan with the onion, garlic and jalapeno. Cook until onion is transluscent. Mix in the cooked quinoa, tomato paste, remaining cajun seasoning and diced tomatoes.
- When combined, top with the shrimp (and optional cheese) and bake in oven for 15mins.