Healthy & Hearty Burrito Bowls
My husband LOVES Mexican food and especially burritos. I wanted to create a nourishing version and seeing how bowls are all the rage right now...why not a healthy and hearty burrito bowl recipe. I hope you enjoy it as much as our family does.
- 4 boneless/skinless chicken breasts
- 2 cups fresh salsa or organic pasta sauce
- 1.5 cups cooked black beans (rinsed)
- 1.5 cups frozen corn
- 1 tbsp. chili powder
- 2 tsp. onion powder
- 1 tsp. cumin powder
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. paprika
- 1 tsp. oregano
- 1 tsp. salt
- fresh cilantro
Pico De Gallo:
- 1 cup tomato (chopped)
- 1/2 cup scallions (chopped)
- 1/2 cup cilantro (chopped)
- 1 fresh jalapeño (chopped, seeds removed)
- 2 tbs fresh lime juice
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup fresh cilantro
- 1 Tbsp. lemon juice
- 4 cups quinoa or brown rice (cooked)
- 4 cups romain lettuce (finely shredded)
- Shredded Mexican cheese blend (optional, use 1 tbs per serving)
Chicken: Place the chicken in a slow cooker and cover with all the chicken ingredients. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours. Shred the chicken and add the cilantro to the final mixture. Keep warm.
Pico De Gallo: In a separate bowl combine all the ingredients and mix well. Refrigerate until needed.
Crema: Combine avocado, cilantro and lemon juice in a blender or food processor, puree until smooth. Add water (optional) to thin and then season with salt.
Bowls: Create your bowls but layering lettuce, quinoa or rice, pico de gallo and chicken. Top with the crema and optional cheese.