We've all heard it before. Eat more vegetables. Nutrients from whole foods and especially vegetables are the holy grail to our health. Despite studying all the incredible benefits to adding more vegetables to my diet, I still find it difficult to get enough.
Here are a few tips that help me consume and even enjoy more vegetables each day:
- Smoothies: Start with a smoothie each day. Try my fruitless smoothie recipe or aim to get 70% vegetables into your next smoothie.
- Soups: I create at least 1 big batch of soup at the start of the week and freeze 2 cup portions for easy lunch ideas. Try these two popular recipes: Kale, Turkey and Quinoa or Golden Butternut Squash
- Salads: I love salads in the summer. So much so that I created a Salad Guide with my favourite (and very easy) recipes. Bring them to BBQ's and dinner parties to make sure you have a hearty and vegetable heavy side option.
- Substitute: I love to substitute bananas with zucchini's in my smoothies or muffin recipes. Shred the zucchini and drain excess liquid before adding to your fav banana recipe or try my healthy Banana Blueberry muffin recipe.
- Prep: As soon as we come home from the market our vegetables go on the counter until we can wash and cut them into easy snack options. Make your vegetables as accessible as packaged snacks.
- Double Up: When you do have a meal option that includes vegetables, ask for double. Salmon with extra steamed vegetables or an omelette with less cheese and double spinach etc...
And if you still don't feel like your are getting enough nutrients each day, well you are not alone. I take Genuine Health greens+ in my smoothies for an extra boost. I still make every effort to eat whole plant based foods and one pound of vegetables a day and I rely on the vast array of superfoods found in greens+ to fill in the gap of whatever I'm missing that day. There are 6 kinds to choose from depending on what your own personal needs are. Read more here and pick the one that is best for you.