There are so many benefits to working out in the morning (faster metabolism, energizing afterglow, getting it out of the way etc…) however on the days I train in the morning, I am ravenous and feel exhausted most of the day. For the longest time I couldn’t understand why. After a little research, I realized that I wasn’t fueling properly after my workouts.
Post-workout nutrition has three specific purposes:
- Replenish glycogen (replenish your energy stores)
- Decrease protein breakdown (improve muscle size/quality)
- Increase protein synthesis (repair any damage caused during the workout)
And until you provide your body with the appropriate fuel (carb/protein ratio) that satisfies those 3 critical needs above, your body will keep asking for more! There is also a critical window of time (immediately after your workout) where your muscles are primed to accept nutrients so it’s important that you eat as soon as you finish your workout. Even when you don’t feel like it. I aim to eat a carb/protein dense snack within 15 min’s of finishing my training and it has helped me regain control over my appetite and feel more energized for longer.
One of my go to post workout recovery recipes is an apple and oat muffin. Loaded with oats, banana, big chunks of fresh apples and fermented vegan proteins+ powder from Genuine Health, this tasty snack does the trick and helps me regain critical energy to get more out of my day.
- 1 cup oat flour (blend your oats)
- 1 cup oats
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs cinnamon
- Pinch of sea salt
- 1/3 cup fermented vegan proteins+ natural vanilla
- 3 bananas (mashed)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup apple sauce
- 1/4 cup grape seed oil
- 1 tbs vanilla
- 1 cup chopped apple and walnuts
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees and grease your muffin tins.
- Combine all dry ingredients. Mix well.
- Combine all wet ingredients. Mix well.
- Combine wet and dry ingredients. Fold in chopped apple and walnut pieces.
- Fill muffin tins and bake for 15-20 mins until golden brown on the edges.
I get a lot of questions from our well&tight members about what protein powder to choose for optimal muscle recovery and digestive support. I personally prefer Genuine Health fermented vegan proteins+ powder because it gives me more protein and nutrient absorption than other brands. The fermented process they use makes sure that I get more protein and nutrient absorption (up to 40% more than traditional unfermented formulas). Their plant-based formula provides 20g of highly absorbable protein per serving and strengthens gut and digestive health without the bloat.
That makes me and my gut very happy!
Interested in learning more about how to properly manage your gut health? Join us at our upcoming Vitality Gut Health Workshop.
PS - Click here to learn more about where to find Genuine Health products and start nourishing your body today.