I eat a mostly vegetarian diet (75% of the time) and love getting creative with new recipes to make sure I'm getting enough nutrients from non-animal products. Fibre is a nutrient I used to avoid as it would make me feel bloated and uncomfortable. However, after making an effort to get over the initial discomfort and reap the benefits of fibre, my body eventually learned how to process the carb properly and I no longer experience any of the side effects. Fibre is a carbohydrate that can't be broken down into sugar molecules (it passes through our body undigested) and plays a key role in helping us feel full longer.
Make this filling salad for your next BBQ and skip the burger!
- 2 cups cooked green lentils
- 1 cup chick peas
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1/2 cup cooked asparagus (cut into small pieces)
- 1/3 cup fresh parsley
- 1 tbs sun-dried tomates (diced)
- 1 cup green onions (cut small)
- 2 cups chopped kale
- Optional toppings: baby tomatoes, pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts
- 2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 tbs red wine vinegar
- 2 tbs lemon juice
- 1.5 tsp dijon mustard
- 1.5 tsp organic maple syrup
- 1 tsp honey
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Combine all the salad ingredients.
- Combine all the dressing ingredients and whisk well.
- Lightly dress the salad.
- Top with baby tomatoes, pumpkin seeds and hemp hearts (optional)