Look no further! I've stumbled upon the BEST tasting green soup recipe and the greatest part...it's so easy to make. My neighbour, friend and well&tight member Jen Bonciani is always cooking up a storm in an effort to help her family live a well&tight life. I am lucky enough to be able to try her new healthy recipes regularly as she is very generous with sending portions my way. Recently she dropped off a mason jar full of delicious looking green soup and I kid you not, it was devoured by my husband and I within minuets.
Knowing we are all looking for ways to easily add more vegetables into our diet (specifically green which are high in fibre, vitamin C and K, calcium, iron etc...the benefits are endless), I thought sharing this recipe would be a great way to help with meal inspiration this fall.
Collard Green Veloute
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 sweet onion chopped
- 1 bunch (about 500g) collard greens washed, chopped
- 3-6 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp hot pepper flakes (optional)
- 1 tsp salt and freshly ground pepper
- 4 cups vegetable broth (unsalted)
- 1 tbsp each of butter and spelt flour (optional)
- Sweat onions in a large pot, medium heat. (Cook on medium heat, covered for 5 min's)
- Add, stir, and cook all the ingredients (except the broth, butter and flour) for 5 minutes.
- Melt butter and flour in the pot to make a roux. (optional)
- Add the broth to dissolve the roux, bring to boil. Add to vegetable mixture.
- Simmer on low for 30 minutes. Remove from heat and purée in blender.
- Cook for 5 more minutes.
Optional garnish: A dollop of greek yogurt, 1/4 of avocado or additional spice like chopped jalapeño and dried red peppers.